A man filmed himself raping a sleeping woman using his victim’s own mobile phone then denied doing it, forcing her to go through the ordeal of a trial. Cameron Hassan had maintained his innocence when questioned by police, and pleaded not guilty when he got to court – but dramatically changed his plea during his trial at Swansea Crown Court after the jury was shown the video of the sex assault.
Police have praised the courage of the woman in coming forward to report the rape, which happened in Ammanford in Carmarthenshire. Hassan, 31, of no fixed abode, was remanded into custody and is due to be sentenced on June 17.
Dyfed-Powys Police detective constable Sophie Lambert said the victim had shown great strength and determination throughout the investigation. She said: “I must commend her tremendous courage in coming forward and the tenacity shown throughout the investigation. We hope this case demonstrates that Dyfed-Powys Police acts on serious allegations such as rape and sexual assault with officers working tirelessly to secure justice for victims .”
The officer urged anyone who is a victim of a sexual offense to come forward and report it.
Support for survivors of sexual abuse is available from many different charities and organizations. The following non-exhaustive list includes contact details for services that may help if you’ve been affected by the issues raised in this article.
- 0808 802 0808 (phone)
- 07717 989 022 (textline)
- Support for survivors of rape and sexual abuse, and anyone supporting them. Includes a helpline, text support, and email counseling.
The National Association for People Abused in Childhood (NAPAC)
- 0808 801 0331
- Supports adult survivors of any form of childhood abuse. Offers a helpline, email support, and local services.
One in four
- 0800 121 7114
- Offers advocacy services, counseling, and resources for adults who have experienced trauma or domestic or sexual abuse in childhood.
- 0808 800 5007 (Young people’s helpline)
- 0808 800 5005 (National Male Survivor helpline)
- Helplines for adults and young people who have experienced sexual abuse and rape.
The Survivors Trust
- 0808 8010 818
- Lists local specialist services for survivors of sexual violence, including advocates and independent sexual violence advisers (ISVAs).
Rape Crisis England & Wales
- 0808 802 9999
- Support for women and girls affected by rape, sexual abuse, or any form of sexual violence. Provide details of local centers.
You can sign up for our regular Crime & Punishment newsletter here, while this interactive tool allows you to check the latest crime statistics in your area: